Chronic pain can have a cascade of effects on patients’ lives. Even though the condition may be controlled, the underlying pain a person experiences can prevent them from carrying out daily activities and enjoying their lives to the fullest. Our compound pharmacists will be able to work with the prescribing physician to create a personalized medication that may include several different types of pain relievers at varying dosages to best target the pain for that individual.
In addition to creating various combinations of pain relievers, we can also adjust the administration route for our patients. Although many pain medications are taken orally, it may perhaps benefit the patient to apply a topical or transdermal cream or gel instead. Creams and gels allow the patient to target the specific area they are experiencing pain, and apply a higher concentration of the drug to that area. When drugs are administered in this way, the absorption process by the body differs, and oftentimes, patients experience fewer side effects while still enjoying the full relief provided by the medication.
Pain medications available for compounding include:
- Corticosteroids like hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, and triamcinolone
- Muscle relaxants like cyclobenzaprine and baclofen
- Nerve pain modifiers like gabapentin, ketamine, amitriptyline, and clonidine
- NSAIDs like ibuprofen, ketoprofen, and diclofenac
- Opiates like morphine, hydromorphone, and oaxycodone
- Topical anesthetics like lidocaine, benzocaine, and tetracaine
Careful adjustment and compounding by pharmacists at Progress Pharmacy will ensure the best possible administration and dosage for individual pain management needs. For more information on pain management or to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (561) 720-2676.